Center for Children with White Matter Disorders - forum site
December 16, 2017, 02:44:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: seven year old with 4h  (Read 12555 times)
tallcrowe

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2009, 01:12:35 PM »

hi there!  whenever someone does get on here with 4h i would love to talk.  my 7 year old son has 4h and it is great to talk with others!  good luck to everyone out there!
dora

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 11:46:09 PM »

hi there!  whenever someone does get on here with 4h i would love to talk.  my 7 year old son has 4h and it is great to talk with others!  good luck to everyone out there!
hey hello I'm from Netherland Holland and mij dauchter of 27 has olso  4H syndrome she neat care for 100% and is verry sik for the last 10 yeare soorry becose my englisch is not so verry wel hope You can read it annyway,hope I'm not scared you my daugter is verry sik but that dont mean your son become so sik as my daugter becose by everybody it go's in annoter way she can not talk or walk or eating annymore also she hef manny time's pneumonia and temprature in the beginning it go slowly also she have mutsh sputum end I hef to put it out of her mouth with one machine she have olso many pils for this and that end nou fore many yeare's antibiotics and many spasme's she siting in a wheelcare and always at home I'm happy about this nou fore manny yeare's she hef mutch facial pain and noboddy can help here before this she was always happy and smilling but nou this is verry dificult becose somutch pain phoe nou but eenaf about me ps. we lif by the day and make as nice as possible,en hope for the best ,I hope your son gows verry well for the fuature and stay strong and keepon fyting .o ye about 10 yeares agow prof.vv de Knaap say to me Joyce wil not live for manny yeare's but nou look nou she's 27 only god now wat happen now maby you can read wat I scrbe,hope of one reaction from your side mutch greeting an good luck
dora

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 12:07:12 AM »

eguichelaar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 05:45:26 PM »

Hi,
We're from the Netherlands and we have a son, (he's 9 years old) with 4h.
It has taken a lot of years, before we knew, what he has. But that will not give answers about his future and honistly we want to look to this moment and enjoy how he is at this moment. Although this is not always easy to do.
He's a very friendly and happy boy and he enjoy living. For us as his parents, is it sometimes very difficult to see the difference between him and children of the same age. His little sister (6 years) is passing him in his development. That is sometimes very hard to see.
We hope, that we can talk to other parents about the practical things about 4h. (school, swimminglessons etc).
Greetings and good luck.
tallcrowe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 01:53:25 PM »

Hello eguichelaar

So, nine years old.  My son is seven right now.  School is tough!  He has such a hard time focusing and not being disruptive.  He rarely has a "great day" at school.  How does your son do?  As far as swimming lessons...I did them when he was still very young and that did not work out very well...I don't think he learned anything from them.  We currently put floats on his arms and let him splash around and have fun.  Getting the hang of kicking legs and arms at the same time has been very hard! 

Does your son walk/use a walker/use a wheelchair?  My son uses a walker for school and places where he needs to go far.  His decline with gross motor skills is sad.  He has been about the same for a few years but has good days and bad days. 

How is your son's cognitive abilities?  Our son's cognitive thoughts are not really "normal". 
Does he do therapy?  Like physical and occupational therapies? 

Please keep in touch!
I know it is hard with the language barriers but I would love to continue hearing from you and everyone dealing with this.  Thank you and your son will always be in our thoughts!

eguichelaar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:51:39 PM »

Hello tallcrowe,

Thanks for your reaction. It is good to read, how your son is doing. We recognize a lot of it.

Our son likes to go to school. He have a personal assistant who will help him with reading, writing, maths etc. On his own level (that is lower than the class level) and with this help,  can he stay on this school. We're happy that the school wants to help our son. In school he also have a special chair and table. They want to learn him how to write and when that's not possible then he can "write" on a sort of computer. We must see how far he can come on this school. When they're not able to help him further, or he is not happy than we can look for another special school.
Because of his own level of learning, it is not very hard for him to go to school. He also have a lot of friends, who will help him and support him.

Our son doesn't have a walker or wheelchair. Walking with handhelping is mostly enough.
In Holland we do a lot by bike. But that gives a problem, so we've got a tandem for him. We can on this way bike together to school, friends or whatever. He also gets a tricycle reclining bicycle so that he can bike in the street, friends and maybe to school. In our country there are a lot of possibilities to help him living in a "normal" way. It cost only a lot of time and patience before something is arranged. There are a lot of people from difference authoritys who have to give permission for a resource. That frustrates us very often. 

The cognitive abilities are not very high.  It looks that he will always be a boy of 6 years old. Learning is hard and must be repeated. Emotional he thinks also like a boy of 6 years old. Sometimes it's very difficult for us to handel with his abilities. And also for his brother and sister. It's not always easy for them to handel with it and it give sometimes a lot of struggling.
Do you have more children?  And how are they reacting to your son?

Our son does only have speech therapy. We've stopped the physical therapy, because there was no big result of it. Without this therapy it stays stable at the moment. When it is necessary we will restart the therapy.
Does your son have therapies on this moment?

Good luck to you and till next time. Greetings from the netherlands
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: